“Social enterprises are businesses owned by non-profit organizations, that are directly involved in the production and/or selling of goods and services for the blended purpose of generating income and achieving social, cultural, and/or environmental aims. Social enterprises are one more tool for non-profits to use to meet their mission to contribute to healthy communities.”-Social Enterprise Council of Canada
SPAN has been involved in social enterprises for many decades. Our purpose is to insulate ourselves from the changes in government revenue and funding; find a way to generate sustainable revenue, and provide the best available support to people with special needs in the region.
Owning and managing social enterprises have given us the flexibility to dynamically contribute to the community by meeting the needs of the market with the highest value product, and create jobs and develop vocational training opportunities to individuals with barriers to employment. Being one of the largest employers in St. Paul has opened many doors. By example, we are able to engage with local schools by providing a wide range of work experience placements to students and service recipients in our programs.
Below are the social enterprises that we currently own and operate in the community.
“Thank you for improving the lives of fellow Albertans living with disabilities, through the purchase of our quality built homes.”
Newsletter Sign Up
- Empowerment. Excellence. Service.Posted on: 2018-01-31 16:55:55
- Citadel Homes Plumbing & HeatingPosted on: 2018-01-30 15:59:59
- Habitat Laundry has re-branded!Posted on: 2018-01-29 22:30:18
- Good read on the Hampton Inn by Hilton in St. Paul, Alberta - Social EnterprisePosted on: 2018-01-29 21:34:59
- STRIDES is back up and running!Posted on: 2018-01-25 21:46:00